Saturday 20 June 2015

What level are the materials on LearnEnglish?


I looked into this when I wanted to find the level of the ‘Britain is GREAT’ series of videos and could find no guidance: this is poor from a teacher’s point of view as well as from a student’s.

I decided to survey what levels most materials are at based on the information here:

Level
Number of items
Percentage of total
A1
1
0.2 %
A2
9
2.1 %
B1
265
61.6 %
B2
136
31.6 %
C1
19
4.4 %
C2
0
0 %
Total
430


So basically, LearnEnglish caters for Intermediate/Upper Intermediate students: 93.2%

This only covers 430 items (31.6 %), which are labelled for a particular level; the other 931 items (68.4 %) are not labelled for a particular level.

My conclusion is that I should recommend LearnEnglish to my Intermediate group  (B1) and an Upper Intermediate group (B2) if I had one.

I accept that writing material for A1 is difficult and that it is perhaps not necessary for C2 as students at this level should be able to follow their interests on any website, but I’m disappointed that there is so little for A2, particularly as I have a Pre-intermediate group.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the level of ‘Elementary Podcasts’ and found that the vast majority are labelled B1; only 2 out of 40 were labelled A2 and the most recent series are not labelled for level.


Basically, LearnEnglish isn’t organised by levels, which I think limits its usability by lower and higher level learners

No comments:

Post a Comment