Saturday 13 July 2013

Experimenting with ipadio to collect material for e-portfolios

I'm more and more convinced that ipadio is the ideal way for students to record themselves in class. There are apps for iPhones and Android phones and a service for simple phones that is completely free. www.ipadio.com 

It is easy to embed the recordings in Edmodo as a response to an assignment and then I can give feedback privately to students. I see my students sending me their best recordings every week or two weeks and as they should be making at least two recordings of themselves speaking every week, they won't be short of material to choose from.

Edmodo is a closed system so students won't be able to create portfolios there that they can take with them when they leave my class and today I experimented with setting up autoposting from ipadio to Facebook, Blogger and Wordpress. I had tried it with tumblr before but wasn't happy with the result as it only added a link: there was no embedded audio.

With Facebook, Blogger and WordPress autoposting worked well. The audio was embedded so you can listen without leaving the site. I liked the look of the Blogger embed:

This is the original ipadio post:

This is the Facebook page where it appeared, but Facebook doesn't want you to use links to posts, so you'll never find it after a few hours:

This what it looked like initially and then when you click on 'Play'



A second reason for wanting (selected) ipadio recordings to be auto posted to somewhere like Blogger is that ipadio is perfect for audio, but I would like some written work in the students' e-portfolios, as well.

Getting students to create their e-portfolios is hard enough, but it is even harder to get the maximum possible benefit out of the process......

No comments:

Post a Comment